Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Fashion Doll Patterns: Tips of the Week

When checking my blog site today, I was reminded of my practice of including a section called "Its the little things" in conjunction with my "tip of the day; well, certainly, when discussing fashion dolls, we are addressing "little things"!!.  I especially recall frustration from some of artists who were using my patterns to create their own One of A Kind dolls; several of them could not sell their dolls for the same amount of money that I could command.  I was reminded of a post I did five years ago (2011) and how much the advice still applies today......I am re-posting because although boutique creations are not as fashionable as "once upon a time", beautiful fashion dolls always have a timeless market space (as well as the artists who just like to create their own lovely ladies.

.......".We have talked about choosing the fabrics and trims for your designs, and how to prepare the materials to help you produce a great piece of wearable art for your doll, but all that will be wasted unless you choose the right doll for your garment.  If you are dressing a doll in historical costume, you need to remember that skin tone as well as hair style is very important.  Dolls dressed in Renaissance and other European Court dress as well as Civil War fashion need a skin tone that is as pale as possible. 



Lord Perry Patterns was developed so that designers could create wonderful OOAK (One of A Kind) dolls by picking up usable fashion dolls anywhere, even garage sales as well as thrift stores.  Many of the designs we have developed (over 75 patterns) have head gear, etc. that work very well on dolls that have not been gently used.  Many time just a dab of paint to change lip or eye color will give new life to a tired fashion doll.....



Picking the right fashion doll, the scale of fabric design and trim, and the styling of the hair and cosmetics is crucial to creating and styling a doll that can always be sold; you just need the right buyer.

Remember, our new website is LordPerryPatterns.com I do find that sometimes when you click on the link (or input the name directly) that you do a message that you "cannot find that address"; according to the host, the web-crawler (?) depending upon traffic, ignores (?) the request..keep trying, the site is there, and under that name.  I have had the same experience myself....




No comments:

Post a Comment